Monday, April 1, 2013

Tour de Pain Extreme: 3 Races, 24 hours-Part 3 the 5k

The Tour de Pain Extreme, put on by Jacksonville’s largest running store, 1st Place Sports, pits the runner in a three race series: a 10k at 7pm on a Friday night, a Half Marathon at 7am Saturday Morning, and a 5k at 6pm Saturday night. Result are compiled and awards are handed out based upon the combined finishing times. This account stands as the third of three. For part one, visit here, for part two visit here.

Happy5k_logoThe 5k:
Result: 22:27, 39th overall, 8th in age group; Three Race series total: Combined time of 2:49.54, 35th overall, 6th in age group.
State of Mind: Chaffed
Shoes: Skora Forms with CEP compression socks
           
            Please note, I used this race as my entry to the virtual race, The Happy 5k where proceeds go to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Please consider this cause until April 12, 2013.
           
           Race three, a gorgeous Florida evening with temperatures in the low 70’s, little humidity, and a riverside run. Who could ask for more? My legs could-they felt deflated. The feeling was not alone—everyone who had run the other two races was apparent. We stumbled around, we looked less than mobile, and we spoke not of a PR, but coasting through the 5k. I went with a 45 minute warm-up, actually engaging in static stretching after a quick quarter mile run in which my feet felt glued to the ground. I downed 15 tabs of ENERGYbits. After a quick static session, loosening the calf muscles up, I moved on the dynamic moves another half mile of running, drills, strides, and more dynamic moves. I wanted to heat the muscles up, to get them moving. I had run basically the same course a month earlier, earning a 20:06, maybe I could going enough to break 20? Not so fast.

           My legs loosened and I attempted to go out a normal pace on the mostly flat first mile. My legs didn’t like me, but I was holding a steady 6:40, a little slow, but nothing I couldn’t overcome. I had refueled well throughout the day, the race should have flowed right? Then, towards the end of the first mile, we hit the first hill, only 40-50 feet of climbing, but over less than a quarter of a mile. People were walking, I ran, but at a slower pace, 6:57 for the first mile. Goodbye breaking 20, adios making up age group places. Mile two was a flat run heading back to the river and ducking under a bridge. We hit the river walk area with 1.2 miles to go, sun behind us, brilliant evening finish. Motivation was high, the race felt short, almost non-taxing, but the legs didn’t have much go, mile two, 7:19.
The corkscrew (from the 10k)
          Mile three I started to pick people off, taking down the person who would finish one place ahead of me in my age group (by a slim margin) and heading into the second hill hard. Passing his iron man tattoo pleased me for some reason, but I was on to the next one, trying to put him as far behind me as possible. By the time I hit the corkscrew, things were loose, my body said stop, my mind said get through this thing without being picked off by anyone behind you. So I did, after finishing my third mile in 7:29, I took the .1 in at 5:35 pace—the track training had paid off for something. While the final time was less than desired, the tale of this short race as well, finishing the series was great. I had circled the race a year prior, when I was not quite ready for it coming off of a severe ankle sprain. Skipping the free beer and pizza, I headed home after a quick stretch. Race report over, back to the track for a few more weeks, no races until May in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment